Blog post by the National Fire Protection Association of the USA. Even though its written for the US, it is still very appropriate for South Africa.
Full article here: http://wildfire.blog.nfpa.org/2015/12/give-a-gift-that-keeps-giving.html
Here are the slightly South Africanised tips :
- Clean out gutters while you are hanging up lights.
- Trim or limb up bushes and small trees before you string lights. Also clear all ladder fuels (low hanging branches, tall grass, dry branches and leaves).
- lean out under the deck while you are setting up for outdoor entertaining.
- Cut away branches and clear debris from the braai area and chimney before you light the fire.
- Take care to clean that first 1.5 metres away from the home, including human treasures such as pieces of construction materials that you know you’ll use someday. The garage is a good place to store those. Get the Firewise gardening pampflet from the WFPA to help make better plant choices.
- Share the holiday cheer by volunteering to assist a neighbour who needs and wants help cleaning up.
- Wrap up some sturdy garden tools to use for garden work.
- In your Christmas emails send along links to the Winelands Fire Protection Association website.
- Make sure that Father Christmas knows how to find you. Do you have a clearly posted address sign?
- Finally, share your Firewise and FPA knowledge with neighbours and friends while enjoying a cold one around the braai.